DAVID ALAN SHIER
FUNCTIONAL SKILL AREAS
Product Management – Project Management – Database Architecture – VoIP Traffic Management – Software Development Management – Electronic Development Management – Quality Assurance Support (ISO9001/AS9100) – Technical Writing/Presentation
Began career an assembly language and C programmer and transitioned into engineering management. After running my own small business for ten years, joined two different start-ups related to mobile computing and telephony. Currently an executive manager an aerospace technology company.
Vice President Product and Test Strategy Development
December 2010 – Present (5 years+)
CK Technologies, Inc. is a small business providing automatic wiring/harness test systems for the aerospace market. Domestic and international customers include all tier-1 aerospace manufactures in the USA, Europe and Asia.
- Responsible for new product development as well as assisting customers with determining the best solutions for their specific electrical test requirements. Provide project management for key customer applications.
- Create technical and price proposals in support of the Sales Department for multi-million dollar test systems and services.
- Provide customer training and supervision of “first article” testing at customer sites worldwide.
- Developed a (patent pending) solution to the complex topological issue of optimizing test system architecture.
Vice President of Marketing and Sales
December 2007 – March 2014 (6.5 years)
- Developed procedures to standardize pricing model for custom designed electronic test systems.
- Authored over 20 “Technical Bulletins” on wire/harness testing methods and strategies.
- Architected a database-driven system for developing testing data for complex aircraft wiring systems. This multi-user system, with an Oracle backend, is currently utilized by Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, Airbus, NASA/JPL and others.
- Additional functions include identifying new technology needs to further the company’s leadership in electrical and emerging fiber test designs.
LataOne, Inc., Beverly Hills, CA/Santa Clara, CA
Director of Systems Engineering
June 2004 – May 2009 (5 years)
LataOne was a facilities-based wholesale aggregator of telecommunications voice traffic with greater than one billion minutes of traffic per year.
- Managed traffic engineering, database systems group, vendor and customer relations.
- Responsible for all engineering services including VoIP/SIP/SS7 traffic management.
- Determined load balancing (Erlang B blocking probability) and requirements for increased or reduced capacity in each geographic market including domestic and international DID services, and toll free services.
- Provided SMS800 (RespOrg) management for enterprise customers’ domestic toll free numbers with time-of-day routing between per-trunk/port and per-minute carriers to minimize total costs.
ReadyScript, Inc., Newport Beach, CA (Sold to PacifCare)
Vice President – Technology
March 1999 – November 2001 (2.5 years)
ReadyScript was an early leader in the “electronic prescribing” market.
- Managed the design and implementation of a wireless handheld computing application used by physicians and other healthcare professionals at the point-of-care.
- Architected a solution that allowed operation during off-line states when wireless coverage was intermittent. The solution utilized a relational database stored directly on the handheld with synchronization to a master database occurring when online.
- Managed change requests during beta testing, working directly with physicians from five major healthcare provider networks in Southern California.
- Project responsibilities extended from conceptual phase, through initial deployment.
January 1994 – November 2003 (10 years)
Company designed and manufactured custom software, hardware (mechanical and electronic) accessories for mobile computing applications.
- Established the company as an early leader in the supply of systems, services, commercial and custom software and hardware related to mobile computing and communications.
- Provided custom hardware/software solutions for enterprise customers of Hewlett-Packard’s early Pocket PCs.
- Provided consulting services including project planning and management for various industries including aerospace, healthcare, sales and field-force automation, entertainment, government, and transportation. Customer base included Hewlett-Packard, Boeing, Citizen USA, Pentax, Fidelity Investments, PacifiCare Health Systems, IPC – Hospitalist Group, among others.
March 1996 – December 2007 (10.5 years)
- Authored dozens of articles for the various mobile computing magazines published by Thaddeus including: “The HP Palmtop Paper”, “Pocket PC Magazine” and “Smartphone and Pocket PC Magazine”.
- Articles focused on mobile computing for the enterprise as well as wireless data communications and general product reviews.
Director of Sales and Marketing
August 1987 – January 1994 (6.5 years)
- Provided multiple roles in a start-up environment including managing software and applications engineering groups.
- Developed initial product specifications for interconnection test systems for the aerospace and high-density PCB and substrate testing markets.
- Authored the company’s test programming scripting language – which is still in use after more than 25 years.
- Managed direct regional sales managers throughout the USA and third-party sales representatives internationally.
- Traveled to customer sites worldwide for sales support, contract negotiations and technical training.
Electronic Systems & Programming, Inc., Hawthorne, CA/Camarillo, CA
Programmer / Software Engineering Manager
September 1978 – June 1987 (9 years)
- Managed software development team and supported electronic engineering.
- Authored test system Operations and Programming manuals.
- Designed real-time machine control software in DEC PDP-11 assembly language and C.
- Supported Sales/Marketing with technical presentations to customers.
- Methods and systems for providing advanced call services (WO2008042990 A1)
- Methods and systems for distributing equipment and adapters for electrical harness testing (WO2012074796 A1)
AS9100 Internal Auditor – 2014 – American Red Cross Adult & Pediatric CPR/AED